Sunday 12 May 2013

For Mothers on Mother’s Day


Upon waking this morning my friend Doug sent me a text message on his cell phone:
“Good Morning Sue – and what you think about joining us, - Me ‘n Shaz at Seagulls restaurant for a Mother’s Day lunch? Cath is treating Shaz, so I’ll treat you, seeing as your children aren’t here?”
To fill you in, Cath is Doug and Shaz’ daughter, and Seagulls is a restaurant situated in the tiny holiday village, L’Agulhas which is the last inhabited place at the southernmost tip of Africa.
I do not think my friends know how much it means to me to have received that message today - it brought a lump to my throat and made me feel terribly emotional. You see, I am here on my own trying to wrap up the sale of our home in Cape Agulhas, Graham, (my hubby) is working under gruelling conditions in Uganda on an agricultural project and my daughters, son-in-law and grandsons are all in England. My Mom is eight hours drive from me up the east coast of South Africa. As I’ve visited her recently, I cannot afford to visit her again until our house transaction is through.
With my friend’s kind gesture, it brought me to think of the many mother’s, (including my beloved mother) step-mothers and adoptive mothers who are spending this day on their own.
It’s for them that I write this Blog today:
We, as mothers, have all had mothers and grandmothers, an aunt or god-mother who has been an important part of our life. Someone who kissed a grazed knee or stroked a fevered brow, made us packed lunches and drove us back-wards and forwards on school runs.
A woman who cheered us on at school sport’s day and ran in the mother’s race, and even if she came in last, she was our heroine.
A woman who told us it didn’t matter that our report card was not brilliant, Einstein was dyslexic and look how he turned out!
A woman who kept all our drawings and little notes from when we first knew how to put pencil to paper.
A woman who taught us that fairies and angels really did exist and that the world was full of beautiful things.
A woman who cried with us over our first heartbreak and wrapped us in her arms and made everything feel OK.
A woman who saw us out into the big wide world and kept a lighted candle burning in the window if we ever needed to return.
A woman who saw the wonderment when we ourselves became a mother and we could only understand the burning protectiveness and unconditional love a mother has over her own child.
I think of all the mothers who have to face the death of their own mothers, or the loss of a beloved child. The empty feeling they must have to face each year when Mother’s Day is celebrated. They cannot make a phone call to say “I love you dearly”, but what I do know is Mother’s Day is for remembering our mothers because their spirit remains within us and our children and our children’s children.
The whole world’s most celebrated day of the year is Mother’s Day as everyone has a mother. It does not matter what religion, creed or colour you are, Mother’s Day is important to all of us.
Happy Mother’s Day, - especially to Mothers who are on their own and feel sadness at loved ones who are not with them.
Love and Light to: My Mom, Debi, Kerry, Taryn, Johnno, Lochlan & Mason.
©Susan Cook-Jahme, Freelance Writer

If you enjoy my writing, purchase my books and EBooks:
Read my Blogs:
“Like” me:
Buy Wallabok Wear:
http://cafepress.co.uk/WallabokCompanyLtd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are important to me!

Barefoot White African